Lenovo X1 Carbon Gen9 first impression
My Lenovo X1 Carbon Gen9 arrived a week ago and I finally found some time to set it up and type a few lines of code. I want to use the device a bit more before coming to a conclusion if I like it or not, but I think I got a good, first impression.
- coming from the MacBook Air M1 the existence of a fan and heat was a bit of a surprise (you get used to not having both shockingly fast)
- I love the carbon magnesium chassis, it feels so much better than the MacBook
- the keyboard is not as good as the one in the T4x series
- no MacBook I used the past 7-8 years had a keyboard even coming close to this one (yes, this includes the 2015 MacBook Pro)
- Windows Hello is a disappointment if you are used to FaceTime, but overall pretty solid
- Windows is a dumpster fire
- battery life seems to vary greatly depending on what Windows decides to do in background
- Arch Linux runs well and without major issues so far
- the mouse buttons could have a slightly more prominent feel, using the trackpoint I often end up hitting alt or the trackpad
- the 1080p display is sufficient for the screen size
Overall I am pretty happy with the device so far.