One of the essential parts of Sakebowl will be the editor. Maybe even the most essential one - in the end it is a content management system, so you have to enter and edit content. I was planning to stick with markdown. It is fast to write, it has a clear syntax and everyone can pick it up in a matter of minutes. But trying to make markdown editing usable in a browser slowly leads me away from this idea.
I am not sure if Drupan is getting more and more users or the existing users want more features and report more bugs. But one thing is pretty clear to me: While my little drunken panda is still my favorite pet project, I slowly have to consider what the user base wants to see. Some of the most recent changes were primarily introduced to support Sakebowl, but they also allow me to implement new features way easier and without increasing the number of dependencies of the default installation.
It has been a long time since I talked about drupan. I put a lot of time into thinking about the best way to prepare drupan for Sakebowl. This was not as straight forward as it sounds. But the solution I found works quite well, improves different parts of the system and is also fully compatible with the 2.x branch, so no need for a new major release.
LeeroyCI started out as an simple CI that gets out of your way and at the same time is powerful enough to cover the needs of small to medium sized organizations. And you can see that in some design decisions, like not using a database but only plain files and JSON. While LeeroyCI has proven to be the right tool for the job, it was lacking some features a „modern CI“(tm) should provide. Let me tell you about all the upcoming changes and why LeeroyCI will be better than ever while still being simple.
One questions I am asked quite often is how to upgrade larger projects to a newer Django release. While upgrading to a newer minor release is usually really easy and does not require much work it can become a bit harder upgrading to a new major release. My oldest project points back to 0.9x, so it has seen some upgrades, and there are certain patters that proved to work pretty well.
For more posts visit the archive.